Chris and I have always been the type of person to do a lot of things ourselves; sometimes they can be fun other times they can be frugal. Recently we started to do much more things ourselves. It has become our new hobby to do new projects. Here are a few tips to get you started before you do a DIY project.
- WHY: We like doing it, okay most of the time Chris likes doing it. It keeps us busy and keeps us having fun on the weekends. Our biggest project to date with at our old house: walk in closet, and building a guest room. Did we care about saving money for this one? Kinda, but we had tons of friends who wanted to help and knock things done! You know the guy things..
- HOW: That really depends on the project. A lot of times you need some small tools, other times you need large tools. You just need something to get the job done. You have to plan and research. If you are building, make sure you measure and have it almost 100% accurate. Make sure to watch you tube videos or do some intensive research before you get started.
- WHEN: Know how long something is going to take you and if you are really going to have time to do it or not. There have been times we got started on projects then just stopped, or put it on the back burner!
- PRICE COMPARE: Is it cheaper to do yourself, or to hire out? Sometimes it will be cheaper to actually hire out.. Larger projects are better for this if you don’t have time and time is money, right?
- IS IT PRACTICAL? If you are not smart and have no idea about the project you are starting, then don’t do it. If you just want to save money to do it, don’t do it. If you think you can’t do it and wont finish it, don’t start it. Just think before you start and make sure all your ducks are in a row so to speak.
Our DIY isnt your typical arts and crafts stuff, this is real work that we do each and everyday. We have a ton of topics coming your way that we love and enjoy. Make sure to visit our DIY blog posts to read specific items.